Monday, July 14, 2008

Simon's first fire alarm

It's our first full day home from the hospital and Grandma S had decided to cook PP and I a nice meal of shaken bake chicken and baked potatoes.  I had gone to take a nap, and baby S was sleeping peacefully in his crib.  Not 30 minutes after falling asleep, I hear the smoke alarm going off.  I come out of our bedroom to see Grandma S frantically fanning the heat detector to get it to stop beeping but to no avail.  I run to open up all of our windows thinking that any minute now the main building alarm is going to go off and sure enough, it did.  At this point, my heart is racing and all I can think about is get the baby and get the hell out of the appartment.  I open the oven and don't see anything out of the ordinary so I shut it off and put on my shoes, tell grandma S to get her coat and grab my keys and head outside.  On the way down, I run into the building manager so I tell him it was from our appt. and that it was a false alarm.  He says we still have to go outside.

We get outside and baby is wrapped pretty tightly in the blanket, still sleeping peacefully.  We get the all clear to go back in about 30 minutes later and we walk in the appt. and see a piece of the heat detector on the floor.  The firemen have to come up and inspect that no fire actually started and when they see that piece on the floor, they start accusing us of tampering with the heat detector.  It turns out that grandma S was fanning the wrong thing.  What she thought was the smoke detector was the HEAT detector and she fanned it so hard with a dishcloth that a piece of it fell off and triggered the main building alarm causing all of the building to evacuate.  Needless to say that grandma S hasn't wanted to cook another meal in our appt. and can you blame her?

And through it all, baby S slept peacefully and didn't even open his eyes or cry once.

No comments: