Friday, November 28, 2008

First cold and sleep regression?

Simon and I have both been battling colds since last Thursday.  This is Simon's first cold and I'm pretty sure he got it from one of the people at work when we visited on Monday.  Other than incessant sneezing and a bit of a cough, he has been pretty good overall.  His nose isn't overly stuffed up and he has been eating just as much as ever.  

He has been a bit more fussy than normal and it's led to some pretty rough nights this past week.  I don't know if it is cold related or just the 4 month sleep regression that I've been reading about, but we have now transitioned him to his crib from the bassinet and stopped swaddling all in an effort to reduce the tears at bedtime.  It's almost like he knows it's time to sleep and if I'm not there rocking him or laying down with him, he screams bloody murder.  

It could also be over-tiredness since I took him to my women's group meeting on Wednesday and he was awake that whole time (from 7-10) when he is normally winding down/sleeping.   That same night he got up at 1:30 and was awake until 3:00 screaming.  Nothing helped, not even nursing which is usually my cure-all.  We thought it was his ears bugging him from the cold but I went to the doctor today and he is fine, so we can rule that out.  Teething can cause ear issues and general night time pain so we gave him tylenol last night but he still needed to be rocked to sleep.   Who knows?  All I know is that our good sleeper is no longer and it's kept me on my toes trying to figure out tricks to keep him calm and get him to sleep.

That being said, I thought that not swaddling was going to be a challenge to keep him from waking himself up either from the startle relex or just scratching his face, but to our surprise, our first night not swaddling, he did a 6 hour stretch and a 4 hour stretch.  It can be done.  Last night wasn't too bad either.  He was rocked to sleep, put down at 8:30 and slept until 2, nursed, put back down at 3 and slept until 7.  Can't ask for much better at this point.

No comments: